Skaistkalne Catolic Church
Skaistkalne Catholic Church and Sepulchre. The church was built in 1692 by the Jesuit Order and set up in a Baroque luxury Latvia had not experienced before. The church has retained an excellent collection of art objects and the splendid historic interior, which was mainly created during the time the church was built. It is the most important Catholic centre in Semigallia and the second most popular pilgrimage destination in Latvia after Aglona. The pride of the church is the altar piece – miracle-worker from the mid 18th century “Annunciation of St.Mary” in the side altar. Since 2001 the church is home to Paulinian Brotherhood. Monks lead excursions in the church, tell about its history and the pluvial. You can also take a look into the sepulchre of the nobles and clergymen in the basement of the church. Next to the church lies the former, currently non-renovated monastery building, the building of which was started at the same time as that of the church, but finished only in the 19th century.